Re: Debian 12.5 up-to-date Xfce, Firefox clings to USB stick

On Sun 31 Mar 2024 at 09:42:37 (+0300), Antti-Pekka Känsälä wrote:
> I'm mounting and unmounting through the stick icon's menu on Xfce desktop.
> Maybe a fancy file chooser dialogue stays around analyzing the directory,
> as you suspect? But I'm worried my Gmail in Firefox is capable of stealing
> files off my USB stick.

I've no answer for that, particularly in view of Max's reply
to my previous post.

I've always copied files to and from USB sticks, floppy disks, CDs,
etc), using the hard disk as a staging area. That habit developed
thirty years ago on account of (other's) experience with Windows,
and the "stickiness" of its file choosers. This could lead to
problems when you attempted to renavigate to files, but hadn't got
the same devices plugged in as previously.

That's not much help to you because by doing that, you'd merely be
exposing your hard drive instead for analysis, to Firefox, or
worse, possibly to Gmail.

I run two instances of Firefox as a matter of course. One user's
instance is used for banking and other administrative tasks.
The other user's is for everything else. The latter is unable
to read any of the former's files. (Some people use different
machines to the same end.)

Cheers,
David.