Re: making Debian secure by default

On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 2:32 PM Andy Smith  wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 11:24:08AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 01:30:32PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> > >     https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/
> > >
> > > This has a chapter on security, so possibly it would be appropriate
> > > to mention "m,esg n" there.
> >
> > A more proactive endeavor would be to document known best practices
> > on the wiki.
>
> Personally I'll read the handbook before the wiki, but I'm fairly
> confident that the vast majority of users will read neither. 😀
>
> Which leads me to ask OP which hardening documents have they
> actually already read, and would the advice be suitable for those?

Read and understood?  None

I have looked at the Debian Administrator's Manual and the Securing
Debian Manual.  I'll bet not enough has sunk in though.

Years ago, I had to do CIS router security benchmarks for work so I
know what went into a network security analysis & how much background
knowledge was necessary to implement the policy ..  Which is why I'm
_sure_ I don't have enough background knowledge to do an adequate
threat analysis for a Debian machine.

I guess I'm just lazy :)  and looking for a short-cut instead of doing
the hard work and figuring it out for myself.

Regards,
Lee