Re: trying to parse lines from an awkwardly formatted HAR file ...

On Sat 23 Mar 2024 at 11:55:04 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2024 at 09:54:05AM -0500, Albretch Mueller wrote:
> >  a) using a chromium-derived browser, which can be used to dump the
> > HAR file log of the network back and forth, go, e. g.:
> >   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaxagoras
> >  b) click on the link that says: "Works by or about Anaxagoras" (at
> > Internet Archive)
> >  c) on the archive.org page, select "texts" and "always available"
> > (meaning text which is public domain, he died 25 centuries ago)
> >  d) then to produce the HAR file, go:
> >  d.1) More Tools > Developer Tools;
> >  d.2) click on "Network" tab;
> >  d.3) Filter: GET
> >  d.4) check: "Preserve Log"
> >  d.5) scroll down the page all the way to make the client-server back
> > and forth cascade
> >  d.6) save the network log as HAR file to then open and eyeball it!
>
> This is incomprehensible to me.  What the hell is d.5 supposed to be?
> Even if I close the Shift-Ctrl-I window, and Ctrl-R to reload the page,

Some web pages don't load completely unless you scroll down them,
whereupon more of the page is loaded. Even if you press End, you may
not get the whole page loaded. One method of completion is to
repeatedly press End and PageUp until no more content appears
(or you observe some sort of bottom-of-page indication).

You'll recognise this if you shop with Kroger™/Dillons™/Fry's™
( in the US).

Ctrl-R is of no help: it can merely reload as much of the page as has
been visited so far. So there is some method in their madness (for
this one step—I don't know about the rest).

> and then reopen Shift-Ctrl-I, and click the down-arrow-in-a-dish icon
> whose tooltip says "Export HAR..." all I get in the resulting file
> is this:

Cheers,
David.