Re: filesystem info

On Sun, Mar 24, 2024 at 11:42 PM Sirius <sirius@trudheim.com> wrote:

> In days of yore (Sun, 24 Mar 2024), fxkl47BF@protonmail.com thus quoth:
> > when i type mount i see many different filesystem names
> >
> > sysfs, proc, udev, devpts, tmpfs, securityfs, cgroup2, pstore, none,
> > systemd-1, hugetlbfs, mqueue, debugfs, tracefs, sunrpc, fusectl, configfs
> > binfmt_misc, portal
> >
> > is there "simple" documentation to explain what these are
> >

> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/Documentation/filesystems?h=v6.8.1
>
> The Linux Kernel sources have a Documentation tree that documents many
> aspects and features of the kernel. There may be a kernel-doc package you
> can install that should put that documentation right onto your system in
> /usr/share/doc/kernel/.
>
> Do note: reading the docs about /proc and /sys (procfs and sysfs
> respectively) may give ideas - write those ideas down if you decide to try
> them out so you have a record of what you might have done on the system.
> It can be relatively easy to unintentionally cause bad performance by
> poking around with those settings.

That suggestion inspired an apt-cache search:

apt-cache search kernel filesystem doc

Which brought up two docs appropriate for my own Trixie setup: linux-doc-6.5
and linux-doc-6.6. The description for 6.6 is:

Description-en: Linux kernel specific documentation for version 6.6
 This package provides the various README files and HTML documentation for
 the Linux kernel version 6.6.  Plenty of information, including the
 descriptions of various kernel subsystems, filesystems, driver-specific
 notes and the like.  An index to the documentation is installed as
 /usr/share/doc/linux-doc-6.6/html/index.html.

Sounds pretty good, in fact just downloaded for myself. For those who
haven't found them yet, you can also install various Debian centric handbooks
using similar searches, e.g. for "admin". Empowered users, yada-yada!

Cindy :)

PS Apologies for potential email formatting glitches. Boogeyman Gmail
finally forced its dynamic'y version on us text folks. Standard line
length options are
"indisposed". I had to manually hack them down to size. FAIL.
-
Cindy-Sue Causey
* runs with birdseed *