Re: Root password strength

On 20 Mar 2024 18:46 +0100, from peb@debian.org (Pierre-Elliott Bécue):
>>> Most of the time, writing down a password is a very bad idea.
>>
>> Not in your own home.  And in any event, it depends where one keeps that
>> 'written down' password.
>>
>> And if it *does* become an issue at home, you've got bigger, more
>> immediate, problems to deal with;  Of the intruder variety.
>
> You have a rather bad cybersecurity approach. And you did not do a
> proper risk assessment.

"Writing a password down" can also be known as "using a password
manager".

Which I would say is _solid_ advice for just about everyone, because
if you're doing passwords properly and have any kind of Internet
presence, you have essentially no chance of remembering every last
one.

The requirement being, of course, that you use a trustworthy password
manager and a _very good_ password database protection passphrase.

Learning a handful of strong passwords that you use regularly (FDE
unlocking, login, password manager, maybe another set of those for
work, and perhaps a few others) is perfectly reasonable, especially if
you aren't arbitrarily forced to change them every few months.
Committing _every_ password to memory is completely impractical.

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”