Re: OT: End the Phone-Based Childhood Now

Am 15.03.2024 um 18:16:50 Uhr schrieb Jeffrey Walton:

> Fascinating reading here:
> <https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2024/03/teen-childhood-smartphone-use-mental-health-effects/677722/>.
> It completely explains why GenZ are having so many problems with
> adulthood. Smartphones and Social Media are the culprits.

I am from Gen Z and I can't understand why a smartphone should be
guilty here. It might be a device that is part of the problem like
alcohol can be when used wrong.

>     The problem was not limited to the U.S.: Similar patterns emerged
>     around the same time in Canada, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand,
> the Nordic countries, and beyond. By a variety of measures and in a
> variety of countries, the members of Generation Z (born in and after
> 1996) are suffering from anxiety, depression, self-harm, and related
> disorders at levels higher than any other generation for which we
> have data.

I can understand anxiety (oncoming war, economy problems), but not the
rest.
From school I remember many people who followed the words "Why do we
learn? We will die because of climate change anyway".

>     The decline in mental health is just one of many signs that
> something went awry. Loneliness and friendlessness among American
> teens began to surge around 2012. Academic achievement went down,
> too. According to “The Nation’s Report Card,” scores in reading and
> math began to decline for U.S. students after 2012, reversing decades
> of slow but generally steady increase. PISA, the major international
> measure of educational trends, shows that declines in math, reading,
> and science happened globally, also beginning in the early 2010s.

I know many people in school who really asked why they should learn
that because they never gonna need that.
I was the misfit because I did mostly computer-related stuff in my free
time (not gaming), but at the end it definitely was and is still worth
it.

--
Gruß
Marco