Re: OT: End the Phone-Based Childhood Now

Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> So the problem with GenZ seems to be how they are growing up
> and what they are spending their time on; and not their job
> (they are teens!)

They need other things to do that appeal to them more than
smartphone idling. If such things existed, they would go
for them, I'm confident.

But it is also how things are presented, what mental picture
they have, which is often incorrect. Today almost all
activities, even pretty mundane things that were once thought
of as relaxing and potentially inclusive to a whole bunch of
people, are presented as elitist pursuits for the select few.

They think, for example, "Martial arts seems like a lot of
fun, but it is nothing for me, everyone who does it are great
athletes and clearly I'm not." while in reality it is "_A lot_
of people who does it are great athletes - and the reason why
is because they do it". These kids only need to show up, but
sadly, a lot of them don't, ever.

So it is a vicious circle, the more they think they have to be
brilliant to do anything the less confident they become from
doing nothing.

> and not society around them (which they withdraw from).

Society pushed them away just as much.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal