Re: running Jami in Trixie - possible locale issue

On 2/26/24 22:47, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:10:45PM -0500, Gremlin wrote:
On 2/26/24 20:28, Gary Dale wrote:
$locale
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such
file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No
such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=iu_CA.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_GB
LC_CTYPE="iu_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=en_CA.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_CA.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=en_CA.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=en_CA.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="iu_CA.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="iu_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="iu_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="iu_CA.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="iu_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_CA.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION="iu_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

$locale -a
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
C.utf8
en_CA.utf8
en_US.utf8
fr_CA.utf8
POSIX

Find out where LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES is being set, they need changed.

No, you're not reading it correctly.  Look at LANG.  Look at the double
quotes around LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES (among others).  LC_CTYPE and
LC_MESSAGES are *not* set.  They are deduced from LANG.

It's LANG that has the weird setting.  All of the other iu_CA entries
are double-quoted, so they are derived from it.

If it was me, I would set /etc/default/locale to
#  File generated by update-locale
LANG=C.UTF-8

and remove all references/assignments to any LC_<what ever> in all shell
config files.

then reboot and do a locale -a

Rebooting doesn't do anything useful here.  Simply logging out and back
in would be sufficient.

But there are two points of view here:

1) Why is Gary using locales that are not generated?

2) Why is Gary using *these specific* locales?

I think you're approaching it from the point of view of "your settings
are wrong, but you don't know where the settings are coming from, so
find out, and fix them".  Which is one valid POV.

Another valid POV is "the settings are set the way Gary wants them, but
the locales aren't generated, so generate them, and then it'll work".

Only Gary can tell us which of these is the right approach.  Maybe he's
a fluent Inuktitut speaker.  All I can say is that it's hard to believe
that someone would *accidentally* have LANG set to iu_CA.UTF-8.  Usually
that's the kind of thing one would remember doing.

My point was to restore the "base system" to a known working point then then start the desktop and examine the issue. Then you can properly set the locale you wish to use and it should work.

By not starting from a known point you are shooting in the dark hoping you will hit the right thing. That almost never works.

Anyway I am done with this.