Re: Selective rotation of journald logs

Dnia 2024-02-23, o godz. 13:48:35
Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> napisał(a):

> Mariusz Gronczewski (12024-02-23):
> > So to say it short: It is horrid.
>
> Generic bashing of systemd in favor of a blind cult of the good old
> ways are not what I am looking for either, and the unbalanced tone of
> your reply makes it look like precisely that.

What was "blind" about it? I had now years of experience on few
hundreds systems dealing with it from basically since it was included
in Debian.

I assume you're one of those ignorants that assume any critique of
product means that I somehow "hate" it  and everything around it without
reason and that is frankly disgusting.

Systemd saved us thousands of lines of code thanks to its many useful
features and cut down whole swathes of bugs commonly made in "simple"
SysV systems and I'd recommend it on any alternative in a flash.

But journalctl is just not one of them and the way it
stores the data looks like an amateur really wanted towanted to write a
file format/database/querying system and failed at all of that, instead
of slapping SQLite (or any other existing established embedded
database) on it and calling it a day. Hell "a bunch of texfiles
prefixed with program name would've been an improvement. That's even
before we got into whole log duration management that I already
mentioned.

I *want* it to be good, system like that that is also efficient and
easy to query would be a dream for embedded system but it. is. just.
not. that. At the moment.

--
Mariusz Gronczewski (XANi) <xani666@gmail.com>
GnuPG: 0xEA8ACE64