Re: Timer doing apt update

On 20/02/2024 19:44, Greg Wooledge wrote:
1) This apt-daily.timer stuff is quite complex and difficult to discover
    and understand.

I am sorry that I confused enough people by my statements. I believed that by default this timer runs "apt update" every day while upgrades are not enabled out of the box. Perhaps I saw active updates on an Ubuntu box and maybe desktop environment stuff was involved.

So the apt package just installs timers and services, but configuration files to enable update and upgrade come from unattended-upgrades and maybe some other packages.

Unfortunately ExecCondition is allowed only in the [Service] section, so it is not possible to avoid starting of timers basing on result of a helper script that queries apt configuration.

In the absence of systemd likely cron jobs may be configured (apticron?).