Re: red SATA cables "notoriously bad"?

Andy Smith composed on 2024-02-20 01:29 (UTC):

> On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 08:16:49PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>>> I've never heard of this. I did a bit of searching around and all I
>>> can find is assertions that cable colour doesn't matter for SATA. I
>>> can't seem to find anything about red pigment damaging the copper.
>>> Have you got a reference so I can learn more?

>> Don't you ever read Gene Heskett posts?

> Ah I see:

>     https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2023/06/msg00103.html

>     Stefan: Can you point to any evidence?

>     Gene: Just my own life [segue to story from 1970]

> The usual story.

Gene's been around quite a while, working electronics longer than most of us have
lived, likely finished his schooling and went to work before Roosevelt died.

> Yeah I skipped that thread the first time around owing to its
> subject line containing "urban legends".

>> consider searching this very list's archives.

> Moments of my life I will never get back, and no more authoritative
> sources unfortunately!

My experience with that particular color cables matches Gene's. Cut one open, and
out comes a powdery substance instead of clean copper strands. I think most for
gen 1.0 SATA 2 decades ago, so there shouldn't be many still around bogging down
3.0 drives.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata