Re: "I: update-initramfs is disabled (live system is running on read-only media)" ...

Hi,

tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> You can't. Initramfs resides in the boot medium. To update it,
> you have to write to said medium.

One will have to create a new read-only medium.

In case the original is a Debian Live ISO:

One would have to extract the initramfs file out of the ISO. If its name
is not known, then the boot loader configuration file should tell. Like
in /boot/grub/grub.cfg of debian-live-12.0.0-amd64-standard.iso:
   initrd  /live/initrd.img-6.1.0-9-amd64
or in its /isolinux/live.cfg:
   initrd /live/initrd.img

Next one would modify the extracted initramfs.
(This is an adventure on its own. Other will know more about it than me.)

Finally one would pack up a new ISO, taking all files from the old ISO but
replacing the initramfs file by the modified one from hard disk.
Roughly like in
  https://wiki.debian.org/RepackBootableISO#In_xorriso_load_ISO_tree_and_write_modified_new_ISO

Details could be determined when the name of ISO and initramfs file is
known. If it's about DVD media, it would be interesting to learn about
the DVD drives at the computer which shall do the modification.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas