Re: GRUB lost graphical terminal mode

On 16/02/2024 17:27, Borden wrote:
For a couple weeks now, I can't use graphical terminal in my GRUB configuration. Setting `GRUB_TERMINAL=console` works fine. With that line commented out, (thus using default settings), I get a blank screen on boot, 5 second timeout, then normal boot.

Curiously, keyboard commands work normally. Specifically, I'm on multi-boot system, so I can boot into Windows by pressing the down arrow the correct number of times and pressing Enter. So I suspect that GRUB is either sending to the wrong video output or GRUB no longer supports my video card.

Any way I can troubleshoot without setting set debug=all?

According to the info pages, "console" means "native platform console". So, for UEFI, that would mean the UEFI console. For BIOS, I'm not sure if there is an equivalent.

Strangely, the info page says that default is "to use the platform's native terminal output" (Minor nit, I wish documentation would be consistent. Is "native terminal" the same as "native console"?).

Things you can try:

* Keep "GRUB_TERMINAL=console" uncommented. If it works, don't break it.

* Try "GRUB_TERMINAL=gfxterm" (uses graphics mode output).

* Try "GRUB_TERMINAL=morse" (uses the system speaker. Only for really desperate debugging :) )