Re: Combining Distro DVD's

On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 09:24:47AM +0100, hw wrote:
> On Mon, 2024-02-12 at 13:41 -0500, Steve Matzura wrote:
> > I thought it'd be a nice idea to combine any and all distribution media
> > for a release into a single medium--a USB drive, of course. I'd start by
> > creating my USB drive by extracting the first DVD to it, thereby
> > ensuring the boot block and boot material is where it should be. But
> > then what do I do with the additional media?
> > [...]
>
> Maybe put a copy of a Debian mirror onto another partition.

"All distribution media" - including source - is a very large USB stick.

If you want the DVD contents, for binaries on one architecture - say amd64,
 start with the 16G image or the Blu-Ray
and you've got it fairly well - you will need to use jigdo to do this..

There have been discussions on this a few times on the list - look back
and someone posted a script to do this.

>From experience: writing even 29G reliably to a USB3 stick takes a _long_
time. The odds of a bit error while writing much more go up significantly.

For Debian on a desert island - a laptop with a mirror on a 4G NVME would
be fine. Mirror is probably a more reliable way to go.

All the best,

Andy