Re: Installing Debian on an old Asus EEE PC

Dear all,

Apologies but work interfered before I could get back to the EEE PC.

Thank you all for the responses.  Very helpful.

On Friday,  5 Jan 2024 at 18:36, Hans wrote:
> Am Freitag, 5. Januar 2024, 17:48:39 CET schrieb Eric S Fraga:
> Me again:
>
> Second answer: You can easily install debian 32-bit from an USB-stick·
> it is working just any other computer.

This is great.  Definitely the routes (USB and/or SD) forward for me.
Thank you.  Mind you, the bios indicates only removable storage is
recognised at boot time so probably the SD card but I'll try USB as
well.

On Friday,  5 Jan 2024 at 17:36, Tom Furie wrote:
> I'm currently running bookworm on an Atom based EeeBook (x205ta), it
> has 2G RAM, and 30G storage. The only hurdle I've found is getting
> internal sound to work (chtrt5645), though HDMI output is fine, I'm
> sure I simply haven't found the right combination of switches to
> flip. Having said that, I'm no expert on Linux audio.

This is much more powerful than my EEE PC, both in memory and disk (see
below).  By almost an order of magnitude probably!

On Friday,  5 Jan 2024 at 16:13, Charles Curley wrote:

> It might help if you gave us a bit more information.

Indeed.  Sorry.  The model is the original EEE PC, the 2G Surf.
ASUSTeK 700.
0.5 GB memory, 2 GB disk.

Anyway, I will try one of the very small Linux distributions.  My
eventual aim is to install a recent version of Emacs that might be able
to run in 512 MB (but probably not) as I want a portable orgmode system.

Thank you all again,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 30.0.50 2023-09-14) on Debian 12.2