Re: Copy from Firefox and paste into Terminal with Vim

On Tue, Feb 06, 2024 at 09:38:11PM +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:
> On 06/02/2024 19:28, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 05, 2024 at 10:28:53PM -0800, David Christensen wrote:
> > > Continuing from above in Vim in Insert mode, if I then simultaneously press
> > > the Ctrl, Shift, and v keys, and then release all keys, Vim inserts the
> > > contents of the clipboard; as confirmed by:
> > >
> > >      xclip -o -selection CLIPBOARD
> >
> > How's that possible?  Are you running a GUI version of vim (gvim?)
> > instead of running vim in a terminal?  Or are you using an exotic
> > terminal?
>
> Are you considering any vte-based terminal as an exotic one? GNOME terminal,
> konsole, lxterminal, and others... They have [Ctrl+Shift+v] hotkey out of
> the box in addition to [Insert]-based ones.

Anything that came from a desktop environment is pretty exotic to me.
I'm pretty old-school.  If xterm can't do it, then I'll call it exotic.

> As to + and * registers. What kind of vim do you use? At least vim-gtk3
> provides console vim binary built with x11 support. Perhaps it is
> +xterm_clipboard option.

unicorn:~$ vim --version | sed -n -e 1,2p -e /GUI/p -e /clip/p
VIM - Vi IMproved 9.0 (2022 Jun 28, compiled May 04 2023 10:24:44)
Included patches: 1-1378, 1499
Huge version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
-clipboard         +keymap            +printer           +vertsplit
+eval              -mouse_jsbterm     -sun_workshop      -xterm_clipboard