Re: Mixing HDD and SSD in lvm

Am Dienstag, 6. Februar 2024, 07:17:02 CET schrieb Kamil Jońca:
Hi Kamil,

I don't know, if this is working at all. The reason for this, is, the BIOS
might cause trouble, because it might not always detect the drives in the
correct order.

For example, in my case I have several SATA drives, connected from port 0 to
4.

Port 0 = 3 partitions Linux (HDD)
Port 1 = 1 partition Windows (HDD)
Port 3 = 1 partition Daten (SSD)
Port 4 = 2 partitions Daten (HDD)

So, Port 3 always shall be /dev/sdc1, and Port 4 shall be /dev/sdd1 and /dev/
sdd2, but every time I boot, I can not be sure. So it might be, that Port 3
becomes /dev/sdd1 and Port 4 becomes /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc2.

To get everything corrrect mounted, I am using UUID in /etc/fstab instead
of /dev/sdX.

I am not sure, if it is possible, to do same in LVM. As far as I know, LVM
must also set the corrct devicenames in correct order, mustn't it?

Maybe someone knows more, just wanted to mention the point, that the BIOS
might interfere when you are using slower and faster harddrives.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Hans