Re: I've an editable .pdf form I need to fill out

pdftk form.pdf fill_form data.fdf output form.filled.pdf # fill in
pdftk form.pdf generate_fdf output data.fdf              # read

It is a CMDL way.
It's clumsy, cause form-IDs don't match form labels.
At least it tells you if a form is fund in the pdf.
For the sake of completeness.