Re: what keyboard do you use?

On Sun, 2024-02-04 at 11:36 -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2024 04 Feb 04:23 -0600, hw wrote:
> > On Fri, 2024-02-02 at 20:09 -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > I have several of the now classic IBM Model M keyboards I procured in
> > > the '90s.  Modern BIOSes don't like them even with a PS/2 to USB
> > > adapter so I gave up on them.
> >
> > They might work with a so-called active adapter.  IIRC it has
> > something to do with the adpater suppling power.  With some research
> > and an investment of like $5, you can probably still use your
> > keyboards.
>
> As I use GNOME, I need the left menu key as I have the hotspot disabled
> to open the overview.  My old Model Ms lack that key.
>
> > Unicomp[1] still makes these keyboards, and you can get them for USB.
>
> I don't like their swapping of the right Alt and Menu keys unless the
> keyboard can be configured to swap them back.  Otherwise, I would prefer
> the right Menu key in that position be removed and that area given back
> to the Space bar.  I don't find any documentation on their Web site
> about that capability.

Contact them, maybe you can get a layout you want --- or check out the
122 key version closeley.

> I do like about the Daskeyboard is that instead of being the right Menu
> key that key is a Function key much like a laptop and it activates media
> control keys on several of the function keys.  It's quite handy to raise
> or lower the speaker volume when playing a video full screen.
>
> > I'm using one right now (with 122 keys), and among all the different
> > keyboards I used over the last 40 years, I've never found anything
> > better than these buckling spring ones.
>
> No question.  The M is the ultimate but unless someone can point me to a
> document that shows swapping those two keys, I won't be buying.

I'm not sure what you mean.  I don't have these stupid extra keys
nobody wants or needs they put into the row with the space bar --- I
guess you mean those?  Those get in the way all the time and I hate
them.  On the 122 key version, they are at the bottom of the small
block of keys an the left where they are not in the way.

You can pull all the keycaps and swap them around if you like.  If
you're still using Xorg, you should be able to reconfigure the key
bindings.

I couldn't find out how to do that with wayland :(  Without being able
to modify the key bindings, I'm stuck with an US layout, and keyboards
with a physical US layout are almost impossible to get here.

It's a badly missing feature from gnome settings that we can't change
the key bindings.  The layout must be defined somewhere, though.
Maybe someone knows where that is?