Re: what keyboard do you use?

On 2/2/24 17:25, Lee wrote:
I bought a Dell desktop in 2019 and the keyboard just died :(

ssh in from another machine & do a 'sudo reboot now' and get an alert
about 'Keyboard not found.'  on power up.  The keyboard also doesn't
work in another machine so it's really & truly dead.

I figure there's a high percentage of keyboard jockeys here so ..
which keyboard do you like and why?

I have a Logitech k740 attached to my Windows machine which is ok.
Not great but OK.
I found a spare Logitech k120 keyboard in the closet; its better than
nothing but too thick for regular use.
And the old Dell keyboard from the Windows machine - also too thick,
the keys are too cramped and lettering has worn off on about 1/4 of
the keys (which is why I got the Logitech 740)

Thanks
Lee

The IBM Model M is the standard to which all other computer keyboards are compared. The buckling spring design was created to provide a tactile experience comparable to an IBM Seletric typewriter, to support professional typists in an office environment. I used and loved the Model M back in the day, but the noise gets tiresome and any persons not protected by a soundproof wall will hate you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M_keyboard

Unicomp makes modernized variants:

https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/category/UKBD

I believe I have read postings by people who installed O-rings on their Model M's to reduce the noise.

Another reader mentioned Cherry. You can get complete keyboards from Cherry and you can get keyboards from other manufacturers with Cherry MX mechanical switches. Make sure you understand the various colors and your typing needs/ preferences:

https://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

I have been using a Keyed Up Labs ES-87 for the past several years. I am a pounder and have worn out or broken many keyboards, but the KUL-87 and its Cherry MX Clear switches have withstood me. The noise level is tolerable when typing at full speed, but you can slow down and type half-stroke when you want minimal noise:

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6625/keyed-up-labs-kul-es-87-tenkeyless-mechanical-keyboard-review/index.html

The bottom of the barrel are keyboards with rubber dome switches. If you do any serious typing, you and your fingers will not be happy. I use leftover dome switch keyboards on headless servers to prevent missing keyboard errors and to perform minimal sysadmin chores (entering encryption passphrases during boot, logging in as root, restarting, powering off, etc.).

I have noted that my older PS/2 keyboards and/or mice are not recognized by the motherboard firmware Setup utility on my newer Dell workstations and/or servers with PS/2 ports. And, PS/2 keyboards and mice are not hot-pluggable. So, unless you have some specific PS/2 need (gamer with large N-key rollover?), I suggest USB.

David