Re: chrony date months off

On 1/31/24 21:50, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 31/01/2024 20:24, didar wrote:
On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 05:32:26AM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
How do I setup /etc/chrony/chrony.conf so it slams the system clock to the
current time on the first cycle as its rebooting?
There was 20 yeas back, an ntpdate command that would do that.

You can use "rdate" (openrdate) as quick fix like `ntpdate'.
Is there a real reason to install an extra package if chrony provides a tool similar to ntpdate?

If I recall it right, the reason why chrony appeared here was just

$ man timesyncd
No manual entry for timesyncd

If it is that box with armbian modified by a Chinese 3d printer vendor then I am surprised that, intended for boards without RTC, it does not have proper NTP setup out of the box. Despite I expect arbitrary peculiarities in this kind of a Linux distribution, I still believe that NTP troubles were caused by user actions.

I'd argue that in the bigger picture, the edge distributions, some of which are one man operations or very close to it, like armbian, know these are often used in offline environments where it is not that important. But the minute you plug in the cat-# it is a different story. We are doing things with baby arm's that would normally take a 6 core i5 to do, but doing it 1/4 as fast and on only 5% of the power. That fast enough to get the job done, but lack of attention to what s/b just works stuff says bad code is still bad code. I'm finally understanding things the man pages will never tell you, about interdependentcy's. Once you begin to understand how timedatectl actually works, it all falls into place and just works.

My goal in much of this is to reduce my visibility on the net, so I now have only a one machine loading at pool.debian.org, instead of 5, soon to be 7. This machine has the power to be a server, so it now has a dhcpd server, specially configured to answer only one mac address, just to give an X-Max3 printer its hostname and net address. I am also an ntp server, stratum 2, for the use of the rest of the machines on my local net. Yet each and every one has full net access. With dd-wrt standing guard. I have only one registered address you can ping. My original 20 gigabyte web page is down, left with the death of those 2 seacrate 2T's in less than 30 days service about 2 days apart. But when it comes back it will be to support a woodworkers big bench vice I have designed, the screw is about 50mm by 500mm in hard maple, buttress thread, the reminder of it is printed in PETG for its resilience. Stronger grip than anything you can get on ebay. With one bigger printer, it takes about a day on the milling machine for the screw, but 2+ weeks for the rest of the parts for a single screw. That's why the push to build a (presently 3 bigger printers, was 4 till I lost the printheads umbilical cable on a creality e5-s1 and it is not a service part) farm.

Take care & stay well Max.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis