Re: time question, as in ntp?

On 12/1/23 14:42, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Fri, Dec 01, 2023 at 02:24:20PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
root@mkspi:/etc# nmcli
-bash: nmcli: command not found

I do not know the mechanism by which my addition and deletions were done
during boot, I had added the correct data to put eth0 at 192.168.71.100 in
/e/n/i, and had deleted the line saying it was managed by networkmanager.
The evidence I have is that the original file was restored, has only lo and
the line giving credit to networkmanager was restored, my additions were
gone. Based on the evidence I can see, what else am I supposed to think?

What you showed us above, where you tried to run nmcli, was perfect.
It contains your shell prompt (which tells us your username and hostname
and current working directory), the command you ran, and its output.
Hell, we even learned you're in a bash login shell, which is not
immediately relevant, but is a nice detail to have.

What we need is more of that.

     ls -ld /etc/network/interfaces

root@mkspi:/etc#  ls -ld /etc/network/interfaces
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 106 Jul 24 19:10 /etc/network/interfaces
The rest of the files mentioned here have an mtime about a day later but 7 months newer than the actual time it has ATM,
date
Tue 03 Jan 2023 06:44:56 AM PST

would be an excellent starting point.  It would tell us whether your /e/n/i
is a regular file or a symbolic link.  If it's a regular file, we would
get the last modified time, so we'd know *when* it was altered, if your
system clock is accurate (which it might not be, given the thread's
original subject).

The clock is apparently restarted from midnight 12/1/2022 at every reboot. And I don't know if the rockchip64 has a clock. Most of the pi's don't. Since this is 12/1/2023, saying it about a year out of date is a pretty accurate statement.

The mtime might not be useful to us, but it might be more useful to *you*,
as you might know what time the system clock had the last time you ran
that 'kiauh' script or whatever it was.  Maybe that's what undoes your
changes?

If it turns out the modification took place in the wee hours of the
morning, then it's more likely a cron job or systemd timer kicks off
the process that undoes the changes.

This overwrite was done that way as soon as I could login at the old address with ssh so I have to say it was done by network start time in the bootup from a 10 second power down.

If /e/n/i turns out to be a symbolic link on your system, then its
target may give us some hints about which program is messing with it.

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis