Re: Unattended upgrade of grub failed

Am 08.10.2023 um 11:33 schrieb Marco M.:
> Specifying a block device for boot loader installation is only needed
> for BIOS boot and not for UEFI boot, so in case of an UEFI system,
> grub-pc isn't needed.

OMG, this looks wrong to me. So i went to check in practice, using a
virtual machine, that is using UEFI booting.
If i try to remove grub-pc, it is issuing several warnings, among them
the question, if i REALLY want to remove grub2 from /boot/grub, which is
strange, because grub exists in the efisys partition (/dev/sda1 in my
case). But the list of dependencies contains - among other things -
every single kernel ever installed on the system, indicating, that
removing it would necessitate another boot manager to be installed
afterwards.
As mentionned, the VM uses UEFI, thus it is set up properly using grub2.
But apparently, both are present and somehow intertwined. I did refrain
from completing the purge.
Yes, my understanding also is, that grub-pc was the old way, but i did a
clean install of a buster system on UEFI and grub-pc got there without
me asking for it.
My understanding is, that it might be dangerous to uninstall grub-pc and
its dependencies without further precautions.