Re: naming a partition after the fact?

On Fri 29 Sep 2023 at 20:32:23 (+0000), Andy Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 10:14:59PM +0200, Michel Verdier wrote:
> > On 2023-09-29, Andy Smith wrote:
> > > If not, what are you actually trying to achieve with partition
> > > names? I can't think what use they have ever been to me in several
> > > decades.
> >
> > I use label to mount different USB devices with one fstab entry.
>
> Isn't that just a filesystem label not a partition label?
>
> If you do mean a partition label, can you elaborate as to what the
> use case is and why a filesystem label doesn't work for it? I'm sure
> there must be one, it's just I haven't personally encountered it.

As well as the aforementioned case of finding encrypted partitions to
unlock, the d-i installer's partitioner displays PARTLABELs when set.

I've never got around to testing whether devices like cameras can
handle GPT SD cards, and whether PARTLABELs are more robust than
filesystem LABELs when a device suddenly decides to reformat the card.

As for the name, I think "Partition Name" is the commonest term,
though, as here, I usually write PARTLABEL because it seems the most
distinguishable from a filesystem LABEL. (See man fstab and man mount.)

Cheers,
David.