Re: "sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb" ... (then no device listed)

On 2023-09-24, Albretch Mueller wrote:

>  Basically, I need to transfer selected data (whatsapp, messages,
> phone calls, ...) off my phone to my computer's hdd.
>
>  How can you troubleshoot that problem or, do you know about any other
> way to transfer your data to a drive off your phone?

If you use USB you need a cable allowing data, some allow only power.
Then you have to enable USB debug in developpement options (which you
have to enable using some magic specific to your model, search internet
for it). And USB must be accepted in MTP mode on your phone (usually by
default). If all this is done your device should be listed.

There is also some applications that can do transfer, like syncopoli
using rsync without USB. Or syncthing. Or termux on which you can use
subversion or git or other unix tools.