Re: sata driver compataility Q

On 9/17/23 18:17, gene heskett wrote:
On 9/17/23 17:52, David Christensen wrote:
On 9/17/23 03:26, gene heskett wrote:
On 9/16/23 19:46, David Christensen wrote:
On 9/15/23 19:37, gene heskett wrote:
On 9/15/23 20:12, David Christensen wrote:
On 9/15/23 15:04, gene heskett wrote:
On 9/15/23 17:35, David Christensen wrote:
On 9/15/23 12:28, gene heskett wrote:
I've just ordered some stuff to rebuild or expand my Raid setup.
This 16 port sata-III pci-e card:
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09L184W57?smid=A2H818KAC5I4D1&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1>
along with a bigger drive cage, cables and such and some gigastone 2T drives to make a raid big enough to run amanda. And maybe put a new card in front of my 2T /home raid10.

... Asus PRIME Z370-A II motherboard ...

... i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz ...

A fresh install of  Debian stable or old-stable should solve the storage I/O stuttering problems you are experiencing.

It looks like the motherboard shares some PCIe and/or SATA lanes between SATA ports and M.2 ports, so you must be careful with your choices.  I suggest installing an M.2 PCIe x4 SSD into slot M.2_1 and configuring it for "PCIE mode", so that it works and all 6 SATA ports work.  You will want to use EUFI mode and GPT when installing Debian.

Based on this, and a full sized manual printout,  I've ordered a 2T WD Black, supposedly a 2280 device. $100.

This one?

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QV5KJHV

Question, when I put this in, what happens to the 32GB of dimms? How does this fit into the architecture?  I assume this isn't volatile but is quick storage.

You will still have 32GB of memory. The WD Black is a fast SSD. The crux will be configuring your motherboard firmware Setup program so that d-i can see the WD Black during installation and so that the new Debian installation can boot and run.

I propose to put this in as suggested, which should leave all 6 sata-III's available, Install bookworm to it, w/o the current ectra controller get it going, then put 3 of the 2T gigastones on sata1-2-3, use the bios to make a raid5 of them and mount it as /home, prove it works with some throw away stuff, then plug the existing raid10 controller & mount it as moi, then format the raid5 again with gparted, and turn mc loose copying /moi to /home to get my working data back. Then 3 more 2T gigastones on the last 3 mobo sata ports, make another raid5 out of those mounted as amandatapes.. Unforch, I had a wrapper around amanda that it took me 5 years to fine tune but I've no idea if a backup copy exists anyplace it this midden heap. Amanda, as it exists, if you start a recovery to bare metal, can only restore to yesterday, my wrapper was a special deal that grabbed the database fom the just finished backup and put that into the vtape, uncompressed which if that was untared to the bare metal gave anmanda the data for recovery that would bring the system back to this mornings state. It also cleaned out the database of any links that referenced vtapes that were recycled and re-used.

Most hardware- and hybrid hardware/ software RAID solutions expect Windows -- e.g. the manufacturer provides a Windows bundle with device driver, CLI, GUI, etc.. Looking at the Asus PRIME Z370-A II Driver & Tools page, I see various Windows packages related to storage, but nothing for Linux. Unless you can find suitable Debian packages, I would advise against motherboard RAID.

Debian supports software RAID via md, LVM, and btrfs. I suggest that you use one of those.

ZFS is another possibility, but the learning curve is non-trivial.

So while I'm familiar with amanda, its been sold to an outfit that doesn't care, so its getting long in the tooth with only user support.

Suggestions re other, more recent solutions will be accepted and studied.  Definitely must support backing up other machines of varying architectures on my local network. In addition to a 4 pack of linux running wintel stuff, there's the potential for 5 or so arms too. Gcodes for 3d printers are all unrolled loops and bulky as can be.

I suggest starting with the WD Black and the new Debian installation. A fresh install on a new device will simplify re-arranging the rest of your disks later. The challenge will be deciding what data to put on it after Debian boot, swap, and root; and if and how to subdivide the space.

Thank you David, take care and stay well.

Likewise.  :-)

David