Re: usrmerge on root NFS will not be run automatically

Hello,

On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 01:52:27PM +0200, Marco wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2023 16:43:09 -0400
> Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> > Each of these things could be rewritten to be compatible with
> > FreeBSD; I suspect it would take about twenty minutes to an hour,
> > most of it testing, for someone who was familiar with FreeBSD's
> > userland
>
> I'm not going down that route.

I haven't followed this thread closely, but is my understanding
correct:

- You have a FreeBSD NFS server with an export that is a root
  filesystem of a Debian 11 install shared by multiple clients

- You're trying to do an upgrade to Debian 12 running on one of the
  clients.

- It tries to do a usrmerge but aborts because NFS is not supported
  by that script?

If so, have you tried reporting a bug on this yet? It seems like an
interesting problem which although being quite a corner case, might
spark the interest of the relevant Debian developers.

If you don't get anywhere with that, I don't think you have much
choice except to take away the root directory tree to a Linux host,
chroot into it and complete the merge there, then pack it up again
and bring it back to your NFS server. Which is very far from ideal.

The suggestions about running a VM on the NFS server probably aren't
going to work as you won't be able to take the directory tree out of
use and export it as a block device to the VM. Or rather, you could
do that, but it's probably not quicker/easier than the method of
taking a copy of it elsewhere then bringing it back.

The option of making the usrmerge script work from FreeBSD might not
be too technically challenging but I wouldn't want to do it without
assistance from the Debian developers responsible for the script.

Cheers,
Andy