Re: memtest86

On 13.09.2023 19:10, Tom Browder wrote:
Here I am again seeking help. I have used memtest86 long ago when I burned it on a CDROM disk.

I see that it's a Debian package, and  I installed it. Now I see memtest86 on my boot choice screen, but selecting memtest86 does nothing.

That's weird.
It works for me, although I use back-ported version 6.20 of "memtest86+" from Testing with a cosmetic patch. I like my grub menu tidy. :)
I've now noticed you've wrote "memtest86", did you meant it to be "memtest86+"?

I assume I probably have to add something to the grub2 menu to use it.

Nothing has to be added, it should work from the grub menu.
On what hardware did you run it?
There could be still some bugs left, and throughout the years, I've seen some of them, usually BIOS and/or Integrated VGA related.

I have searched for how to do that, but all I've been able to find are instructions on how to use it from a bootable USB thumb drive.

My grub/boot foo has disappeared. Any help on using the installed memtest86 is greatly appreciated.

As a fallback, I will go the USB route if I have to, :-(

USB route is usually the way to go, especially when "memtest86+" is a part of some recovery tools project like "System Rescue". [1]

[1] https://www.system-rescue.org/
--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀