Re: just a question about the iwlwifi_20230515-3 file

On Tue, 5 Sep 2023 00:23:49 -0400
Maureen L Thomas <silverorb@verizon.net> wrote:

> I keep getting messages that [iwlwifi_20230515-3] is not installed. …
> Is it important or can I ignore it[?]  I do have wifi.

What leads you to think you need it? Please show us the exact error
message.

iwlwifi refers to certain Intel wireless peripherals, wifi and
bluetooth. If you have working wifi and bluetooth, you may not need it.
The package in question is firmware-iwlwifi, and it is available in
various versions for buster through sid.

Do you already have that package installed? Run

dpkg-query --show firmware-iwlwifi

If that shows nothing, it is not installed; if it shows the name and
other information, it is installed.

Furthermore, if the specific file is for sid, and you are not using
sid, installing that file may cause compatibility problems.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/