Re: I uninstalled OpenMediaVault (because totally overkill for me) and replaced it with borgbackup and rsyncq

On 3 Sep 2023, at 19:16, David <david.g_jones@ntlworld.com> wrote:
[...]
I have a Dell R320 fitted with 8 1T SAS drives, the hardware raid is
turned off as OpenMediaVault uses sorfware RAID.
If I turn the hardware raid on can I use Debian as the opperating
system?

Hi David,

In general, outside of certain relatively niche use cases, I believe software raid is to be preferred due to comparable performance and lack of future hardware compatibility/availability issues.

See for example (if with some contradictions)

Debian supports software raid, in the form of MDRAID.  I seemm to recall this is usually combined with LVM.

OpenZFS may be of interest, possibly root on ZFS too.

There doesn't seem to be documentation for root on zfs for bookworm yet.  I imagine the bullseye instructions, suitably adapted for repositories etc, might suffice, but I upgraded a root on ZFS installation from Buster to Bullseye to Bookworm (following the release notes in each case) so haven't tried to install from scratch in years.

You will need to turn hardware raid off in either case (MDRAID or ZFS)

If you have actual raid controller cards, that may not be possible iiuc - I'm sure someone (maybe even me) could advise if you provide details of raid hardware if relevant.

Best wishes,
Gareth

Thank you for any help,

David.