Re: Adding backup storage

On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 10:49:12 -0400
gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> On 8/5/23 17:27, Charles Curley wrote:
>  [...]
> >
> > The first thing I wonder is whether you are going to overload your
> > power supply by adding all these peripherals. Do the math.
> >
> There are no power hungry spinning rust drives left in this system.
> All 7 drives currently plugged in are SSD's or optical, much stingier
> with their power demands.

Those optical drives may pull quite a bit of power when powering up.

> > I have a rather different setup: An SSD with all the usual
> > partitions, /home, /, /boot, etc. Then four 4TB hard drives. The
> > hard drives are set up as one RAID 5, with one spare drive. The
> > RAID device (md0) is encrypted. On top of that, one LVM physical
> > volume. Half of that is in one logical volume with an ext4 file
> > system, the rest so far unallocated.
> >
> > My amanda vtapes (virtual tapes) are on the RAID logical volume. I
> > also use rsnapshot to back up portions of the SSD every four hours
> > to the RAID's logical volume.
>
> How full are the SSD's? If my experience here with u-sd's is any
> guide, leaving them room to do their housekeeping keeps them healthy.
> My arm stuff can and has run a full desktop on an 8G, but that 8G
> lasts about 6 months, 16G makes that a year, and 64G essentially
> lasts forever if infant mortality isn't counted. YMMV of coarse.

Interesting.

I don't let partitions get over 90% full. Most are less than that. The
two hawk2021vg partitions and the two /dev/sda partitions are on the
SSD, hawk--vg--raid-crc2020 is on spinning rust.

root@hawk:~# df | grep '\(/dev/mapper\|/dev/sd\)'
/dev/mapper/hawk2021vg-hawk2021root  105G   68G   32G  69% /
/dev/mapper/hawk2021vg-hawk2021home   80G   60G   16G  80% /home
/dev/sda2                            463M  124M  311M  29% /boot
/dev/sda1                            489M  5.8M  484M   2% /boot/efi
/dev/mapper/hawk--vg--raid-crc2020   4.0T  3.3T  538G  86% /crc
/dev/sdg1                            1.9G  327M  1.6G  18% /media/disk
/dev/mapper/offsite                  4.1T  2.9T  974G  76%
/media/offsite root@hawk:~#

And similarly for others.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?