Re: Bookworm - cron?

Hello,

On Sat, Aug 05, 2023 at 02:01:40PM -0700, Steve Sobol wrote:
> On 2023-08-05 13:16, Andy Smith wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 05, 2023 at 12:53:08PM -0700, Steve Sobol wrote:
> > > Part of my standard procedure for setting up new VMs involves
> > > editing root's
> > > crontab.
> > >
> > > But cron isn't installed.
> >
> > Seems unlikely. There are system cron jobs that are not yet
> > converted to systemd timers. A bookworm install I did just yesterday
> > has cron jobs in /etc/cron.d/ that require the "cron" package.

[this bit not actually true, it seems!]

> > What are you typing to edit root's crontab? What output do you get
> > that you don't expect?
>
> crontab -e
>
> Bash tells me that the "crontab" command wasn't found.
>
> dpkg -l |grep cron returned nothing.

I think you must be right then. In another email I mentioned that I
checked a minimal install and all the system cron jobs that were
installed did already have systemd timers, so they are no-ops that
don't require crond.

So as Greg mentioned, just install package "cron".

Or you could do your root crontab entry as a systemd timer, if you'd
rather not install and run crond just for that.

Cheers,
Andy