Re: Cable colors and urban legends

Stefan Monnier composed on 2023-06-02 14:33 (UTC-0400):

>> And, strange as it sounds, replace any "hot red" aka "magenta" sata cable
>> with some other color.  I am a CET and known to me since the 1970's, that
>> color of insulation dye will in time, convert the copper of the conductor
>> into a rust colored powder, and that is a poor conductor.

> This is very hard to believe.  I'm willing to believe that there have
> been insulation dyes that have proved problematic, but if you've
> encountered those problems in the 70s I find it *really* odd that it
> would still affect cables from this century (e.g. sata cables).

> Can you point to any evidence?

You've never cut open a magenta cable that quit to see what's inside? If rust
colored dust falls from where copper used to be, you have your evidence. That
said, there probably aren't a lot of computers that had them left in service. I
think the manufacturers got it figured out before SATA rev 2.0 cables saturated
the markets.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata