archive files

On 5/4/23 23:46, Jeremy Ardley wrote:
On 5/5/23 14:21, David Christensen wrote:
If the file is a some kind of archive (e.g. tar(1)), both the data
and metadata are inside the tarball and the full-circle results
should be identical.

Not quite. The file times are usually changed in the un-tar
operation. You can usually expect to only have a valid m-time.

In addition, extended attributes such as ACL are not preserved
without some effort.

There is a further problem in that the owner and group values may be different between systems

The situation is much worse with NTFS on windows where there are alternative data streams and up to 16 timestamps per file per
datastream.

Thank you for the clarification.

Fortunately, I use the same (user) UID's/GID's on all of my (Unix) systems, I have not needed ACL's, and simple use of tar(1) has preserved the metadata that I do care about (UID, GID, mode bits, mtime, and filename).

How does cpio(1) compare?

How about dump(8) and restore(8)?

AIUI dd(1) produces identical backup/ restore results.  Do you know
otherwise?

David