Re: Wireshark does not show physical interfaces for capture

Lee wrote:

> >> See if the interfaces have been hidden from the GUI.  eg
> >> $ grep devices_hide .config/wireshark/preferences
> >> capture.devices_hide: any,nflog,nfqueue,dbus-system,dbus-session
> >
> > Nothing much there:
> >
> > $ grep devices_hide .config/wireshark/preferences
> > #capture.devices_hide:
> >

> >> Or check from the GUI:
> >> Capture / Refresh Interfaces
> >
> > Does not add the NICs to the list.
> >
> >> Capture / Options
> >> select the Input tab and click Manage Interfaces
> >> select the Local Interfaces tab and make sure there's a checkmark
> >> under Show for all the physical interface names
> >
> > I don't see any physical interfaces there, this is all I see:
> > https://ibb.co/190ytwv
>
> Have you looked at
> https://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#capprobunix

Yes, I have, and I have also read
https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/raw/master/packaging/debian/README.Debian

> I have a vague memory of having to do
>   sudo dpkg-reconfigure wireshark-common
> a few years ago before I was able to capture packets without using sudo

All this command does IMHO is create the "wireshark" group with sufficient
privileges to capture packets. I clearly remember answering "Yes" to
that question while installing Wireshark.

That is why I wrote in my first mail that dumpcap can list interfaces
and capture packets when run from my account:

$ whoami ; dumpcap -D
vas
1. enp3s0
2. any