Re: dmesg ... XFS (sdb1): log I/O error ...

Albretch Mueller wrote:
> On 2/25/23, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
>  I am not using a USB enclosure per se, but a regular internal disk
> externally attached using a USB/power interface. I will test the USB
> cabling using a better looking, newer USB cable.

If you can swap the USB/SATA interface too, that's a pretty
likely failure point.

>  The laptop + external disk combination I am using right now has a
> very pore transfer rate. I need at least three times that around
> 100MB/sec:
>
> $ date; time sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sdc
> Sat 25 Feb 2023 12:03:43 PM UTC
>
> /dev/sdc:
>  Timing cached reads:   29458 MB in  2.00 seconds = 14754.70 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads: 112 MB in  3.04 seconds =  36.87 MB/sec

The top number is, of course, bogus. The bottom number is typical of a
USB2-connected disk -- the often cited "480Mb/s" connection speed has
a lot of protocol overhead and inefficiency. About 42MB/s is the best
you can hope for.

A USB3 port, if you have one available, and a USB3-SATA3 interface that
supports UASP (basically, SCSI over USB), can manage 100-120MB/s
on a spinning disk.

-dsr-