[SOLVED] Re: Currently on x11vnc, looking for reliable VNC solution?

On 07/09/2022 09:41, piorunz wrote:

and the there's anydesk, with conditions just as nomachine.

anydesk.com

[1] https://www.nomachine.com/

Thanks for your replies guys. These solutions are overkill to my needs,
I just need reliable LAN access from one machine to another, as for WAN
access I already have ssh tunnel which tunnels all traffic I want if
need be. So, I don't think I need external, commercial, not open source
solution for my simple remote access. I'd rather fix VNC server I have
right now, or switch to different VNC server. Anyone has experience with
VNC, or similar LAN protocols, which work? Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Just to let you know, I finally settled for commercial software - RealVNC Connect account. Registered to anonymous details, this account allows for up to three VNC servers within one account to be available for free, with optional cloud access as well, protected by password and 2FA. I don't need to resort to SSH tunnel any more, but I still can if I disable cloud access and tunnel a port through SSH instead. And what a difference has it been! It's so much more efficient than x11vnc I was using for last three years, I am very patient, I know haha. Before, I had anywhere from 1 fps to 10 fps on a good day, recently x11vnc was bugging even more and manipulating any window would slow it down from typical 10 fps to 0.5 fps. Restarting, tweaking options, even using all default options would not help, its just not mature enough and has many bugs. This is all on gigabit LAN connection.

RealVNC server, for a change, is full 30 or 60 fps, I can't even tell, but watching a video (just for experiment purposes) is possible where previously it was a slideshow mess. I only ever used remote access to my home server, I never knew that nouveau-powered old Nvidia card, Xfce desktop, and the rest of the system, is actually so responsive! Everything is so smooth and well again, like I would sit in the front of it. Aside from cpu microcode, RealVNC Server is the only proprietary package on this machine. Compromise which I decided I had to do to regain control of my Debian server.
Thanks for for participating in this thread!

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/