Re: Debian bug report etiquette

Hi Jonathan, thank you for your advice.

On 24/02/2023 07:15, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

[ honouring Reply-To as set ]
Thanks, I'll drop that header in future.

Debian Python Team maintain a huge number of packages (>2,000). Things
can very easily slip through the cracks.
Indeed, and everyone's extra busy now with the upcoming bookworm release.

If you want to make it as easy as possible for someone with sufficient
privileges to upload a fix, you could fork/clone that repository, make
the necessary changes to the packaging source to include the patch (put
it in debian/patches, make any other necessary changes), and raise a
"Merge Request" on Salsa, pointing back at the Debian bug. Then the work
required to integrate the fix is as small as possible.
I've done this. [1]

Have you tried emailing the python packaging maintainers? They're listed
as Debian Python Team <team+python@tracker.debian.org>, although I'm not
sure where that mail goes. You could try that and if you hear nothing,
consider one of the Uploaders named on the package: they're the actual
humans who have looked after it.
If there's no response in a week or so I'll send an email.

You could consider adjusting the bug's Severity. Is the
relevant bit of Debian Policy that is violated described as a "must" or
"required" directive (or similar)? In which case raising the bug
severity to "serious" would be appropriate, and also cause the package
to be flagged for dropping from Bookworm unless the bug is resolved
Debian Policy 11.8.3 says:

To be an x-terminal-emulator, a program must:
Support the command-line option -e command, which creates a new terminal window and runs the specified command.
<command> may be multiple arguments, which form the argument list to the executed program.

I've sent a mail to control@bugs.debian.org to bump the severity to serious.

I'm curious therefore what is it about this particular bug that has
grabbed your attention?
I help to manage a small Debian derivative. [2] Our default terminal emulator used to be Terminator, and some of our users still like it. The recent issue has broken one of our utilities, if run with x-terminal-emulator set to terminator.

Thanks again!

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/packages/terminator/-/merge_requests/4
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/BunsenLabs

--