Evolution doesn't receive messages in Debian 11.

I just upgraded to Debian 11. I had been using Debian 10. I've used Evolution for many years. The version in Debian 11 is 3.48.

I use KDE Plasma version 5.26.90. The KDE Frameworks version is 5.102.0.

I get pop-up notes from KDE that evolution has received new messages.

But the messages don't appear in Evolution. I know it's not a mail server problem because I can read the messages in Firefox -- but Firefox doesn't have access to my archive, so I can't save anything (on my own computer). If I were to work out how to get Firefox to save them, and if I ever get Evolution working again, the messages won't be in Evolution's format, and the other Evolution data structures won't be updated.

There was a note about "messages not appearing in Evolution" many years ago. It turned out to have been caused by the user's configuration mistake. When I looked for that mistake in my configuration (which I hadn't touched), I hadn't made it.

Does anybody have any suggestions to get it working?

When I installed Debian 11, I didn't destroy Debian 10. I still have Debian 10 on a different drive. In attempting to repair an entirely different problem, I had done

apt-get update; apt-get upgrade

on the advice of a posting in one of the Debian forums. Now, in Debian 10, there's a mish-mash of Debian 11 parts. Evolution is version 3.46. It works, but the user interface is now a mess. Icons are tiny and in different places. The body has a black border between itself and the window border. The title bar for the composer is entirely different from the title bar of any other window -- about three times as thick, containing several icons, including the "send" icon.

Does anybody have any suggestions to repair it?