Re: snapd vs apt

On Sat, Feb 18, 2023 at 10:30:09AM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > There are some hints at this in the GNU GPL (e.g. the sources have
> > to be made available in their "preferred form"), but it goes much
> > further, I think.
>
> As a long time Emacs hacker I can only agree.  satisfying the legal part
> of the definition of "Free Software" is just the first step.  If you
> care about "Free as in Free speech" you also want to go through extra
> trouble to help your users becomes hackers/developers.

Emacs is pretty special in this department. There is a key which takes
you to a function documentation (so far, so good), but from there you
can jump to that function's source, be it elisp or C.

> Rather than focus on providing a slick&seamless experience you want to
> focus on exposing your users to the program's source code.  It comes
> with its own downsides, of course.
>
> E.g. Emacs has not been internationalized yet, and it's not completely
> clear that it should: to internationalize it well, we'd need for example
> to replace `M-x` with something that uses translated command names
> rather than using the names used in the source code.  That would be
> helpful for non-English users, obviously, but that would also make it
> harder for them to know what to write in their `.emacs` and to
> understand Emacs' source code.

There's a funny anecdote for that: Back Then (TM) (it was Windows 3.1,
Wikipedia says 1992 or thereabouts) Apple had this cool scripting
language (was it Applescript?). It had a tokenized internal representation
(was fashionable at the time). Of course, it was easy for them to
localize the keywords, and they did [1].

Microsoft must have seen that and thought "Oooooh, we want that too".
And they did (WinWord Basic or something). The snag was that this
one only had a textual representation. The effect of all of this
was that macros written in the USA couldn't run on a German computer
(and vice versa, of course).

Some kind of Midas touch, I guess.

Cheers

[1] I'm not sure this is a good idea. I lean on the side "it's not".