Re: snapd vs apt

On Sat, Feb 18, 2023 at 12:50:12PM +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:

[...]

> When some application is packaged for Linux distributions it is easier to
> rebuild it with a custom patch. I suspect that a developer distributing a
> snap package may use specific and not well documented build environment.

I think this one is a very important point which hasn't been addressed
yet in this thread: Debian packages provide not only their source, but
the whole build setup to rebuild that package (and most of them in a
reproducible [1] way, i.e. they yield bit-for-bit identical binaries
whenever the sources and the build dependencies stay constant).

I only know of two "snowflake environments" which can do that, Nix and
Guix. But those are in a wholly different category as the ones discussed
here.

Cheers

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds