Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On Thu 16 Feb 2023 at 11:27:25 -0800, Bob McGowan wrote:

>    On 2/16/23 11:14 AM, Brian wrote:
>
> On Thu 16 Feb 2023 at 11:52:21 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>

> [1]tomas@tuxteam.de [2023-02-16 16:53:02] wrote:
>
> Just for kicks: have you tried sending a PS (or *gasp* PDF) file
> down that alley (e.g. with socat)?
>
> For That One Form in the Year this might be just sufficient...
>
> Hint: start with a small one :)
>
> I don't think "a small one" can be small enough in case it misfires.
> Instead, I usually make sure there's only 1 sheet of paper in the tray
> when I send the test (usually a sheet that I already used :-)
>
> Producind a PDF with the line "This is a test" in it is
> incredibly easy. Jumping through hoops is not needed.
>

>    However, the PDF file created (I used LibreOffice 'cause its fast and
>    easy) was 7,335 characters long, according to 'wc', which also reported
>    367 "words" and 139 "lines".
>
>    Given that a standard US letter size sheet (8.5 by 11 inches) has 66
>    lines per page, that is just over 2 pages.
>
>    So putting only one used sheet of paper in the printer would save a
>    couple of sheets of paper. ;)
>
>    Not much but why waste paper for a simple test?

I have no desire or intention to investigate how LibreOffice
deals with a single line text file converted to a PDF. This
works to not waste paper when fileout.pdf is printed:

 /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttopdf 1 1 1 1 1 filein.txt > fileout.pdf

--
Brian.