Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On Thu 16 Feb 2023 at 10:41:33 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:

[...]

> 3) Also suggested: driverless
>    Here's what I get this year:
>
>    wooledg:~$ driverless
>    ipp://Canon%20LBP712Cdn%20(db%3Ac0%3Ad3)._ipp._tcp.local/
>
>    That's all.  And no, that's not the right printer.  That's the one
>    that has the right model number, but isn't *mine*.  I can only imagine
>    it's somewhere else on this floor, and that someone is very confused
>    upon seeing income tax forms coming out of it.

How do you know it it does not point to the right printer?

> 4) Also mentioned: port 9100.
>    For grins, I did "telnet 10.76.172.100 9100" and after that connected
>    I typed "HELLO WORLD", then pressed Enter, then Ctrl-] q Enter to
>    close the telnet session.
>
>    That actually printed the words HELLO WORLD on a sheet of paper.
>
> So the printer WORKS.  It is ON THE NETWORK.  I can print TEXT to it
> using port 9100.

The printer understands text.

> What I CANNOT do is find it in CUPS.  Or avahi-browse, or driverless, or
> any of these other commands that are so allegedly wonderful.

Your machine has bullseye, we suppose? Give what you gat for

  lpstat -l -e

> Is there any way I can tell CUPS "Please set up a queue for a printer
> whose IP address is 10.76.172.100 even though you can't discover it with
> your fancy tools"?

Yes, but it should not be needed and involves guessing.(Please
try to avoid unhelpful, judgemental adjectives).

[...]

> My burning hatred of printers and this printing system remains unquenched.

Calm down! Understanding a situation (like the operation of a
shell script) requires being able to focus.

--
Brian.