Re: try to cleanup

On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 09:57:49 +0100
"Maurizio Caloro" <maurizio@caloro.ch> wrote:

> Hello
>

> i try to cleanup little me Debian 10.13, i thinking that have a zoo
> from
>
> diffrent version from PHP running and in me opinion are same component
>
> future running, in diffrent version, or ist this normal, you have
> this also on
>
> your machine?
>
> ->like: common, xml, readline, bcmath, mysql, cli, gd, and so on.
>

> exist here the possibilites to filter, which are running, or not in
> use?
>
> or it's this impossible?, then any programm has diffrent requirements.

Mostly, new versions of php are backward compatible, so the newest
version may be all you need. But some features are removed from new
versions, particularly with a major version change, so sometimes old
applications require an older version of php. Normally applications are
updated if something vital is removed, but not all old software is
maintained properly.

I've had to remove 7.4 from my unstable installation as it was
preventing several upgrades, and nothing I've used since seems to have
broken. But unless you are incredibly short of drive space, then it is
usually best to leave things installed until you have a definite reason
to remove them, as I did. If it ain't broke....

--
Joe