Re: Setting default sound device (was Re: New Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series 3511 sound problem on Debian 11 Stable)

[Sorry about the broken threading - I read this list through linux.debian.user]

On Mon Feb 13 09:36:01 2023 David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>
wrote:

> I think the section "Wrong card used by default" in:
>
>  https://wiki.debian.org/ALSA
>
> should help. There's more detail at:
>
>  https://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards
>
> and I think both these are pure ALSA and PA-free.

Thanks for the links.  I worked through them, but as usual,
found it tough sledding.  I did come across another page
that pointed out that alsa.conf has moved from /etc/modprobe.d/
to /usr/share/alsa/, for what it's worth.

This isn't the first time I've tackled this problem, and it's
really just a convenience thing, not a desperate need.  When I
switch my TV from my cable box to the computer, I have to walk
over to the sound system to change its input selector from the
TV's audio output to the computer's analog jacks.  (That input
selector is the one knob my universal remote can't touch.)

If I work on this problem for more than 100 times the time
it takes to walk across the room and back, I figure I've
reached the point of diminishing returns, and it's time
to set it aside for another day.

Thanks anyway, though.  I've filed these notes for the next
time I have an hour or two to spare.

--
/~\  Charlie Gibbs                  |  "Some of you may die,
\ /  <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>      |  but it's a sacrifice