OT: (KVM) Splitting a combined USB mouse and keyboard cable to feed separate mouse and keyboard inputs

Background: My KVM switch (and a keyboard) died in two (freak)A(ccidents)BKAC.

My spare KVM did not work, so I'm looking for another KVM.  (For now, I'm
using the original KVM for switching the VGA video and keyboard, and have
separate mice plugged into each computer (only two in service (on a 4 port
KVM) at the moment).  The KVM also  handles audio, and I plan to find another
KVM that handles audio.

I could buy anonther (used) one like the two I have, but I'm a little gunshy.

Leading up to the Problem: My problem is this: one of the computers that I
need / want to keep in service for some time yet has separate inputs for the
keyboard and mouse -- the existing KVMs have separate outputs for the keyboard
and mouse, so all is (was) good.  (The other computer that I need to keep in
service has separate and combined keyboard and mouse inputs, i.e., one PS/2 or
USB cable can carry the combined signal from a mouse and keyboard into the
computer and both are detected and work.  The first computer, mentioned above,
does  not handle a mouse and keyboard combined to one input.

The Problem: Many of the KVMs that I've looked at recently have one USB output
(one for each computer) which carries the combined keyboard and mouse signals.

I'm wondering if there is a way to take that one USB output and divide it into
separate keyboard and mouse outputs.  I'm thinking of maybe a "Rube Goldburg"
approach that might involve feeding that one USB output into a hub from which
I'd run two USB cables (with USB to PS/2 adapters).  I'm hoping the mouse
input would ignore keyboard signals and the keyboard input would ignore mouse
signals.

is, taking a USB cable with combined mouse and keyboard signals and somehow
splitting them to feed separate keyboard and mouse inputs on a computer?

Aside: The two freak (and / or dumb) accidents that got me into this
situation:

   * The freak accident: My keyboard stopped working.  Eventually I found a
piece of tape that somehow got onto the keyboard and was holding a key down (I
didn't pay careful attention at the time but it was in the viciinity of the
F12 key on a  Microsoft ergonomic keyboard).  My guess is that that held down
key eventually killed the keyboard.  (In any event, it is dead.)

   * The dumb mistake: I tried to move cables around (to try different
keyboards) with the KVM still powered up but switched to an unused port.
While doing that I fat fingered (well, fat armed) the slector switch which
switched to an in-use USB port while I was plugging / unplugging the PS/2 /
USB mouse.  I should have just depowered the KVM ;-(

Thanks!

--
rhk

(sig revised 20221206)

If you reply: snip, snip, and snip again; leave attributions; avoid HTML;
avoid top posting; and keep it "on list".  (Oxford comma (and semi-colon)
included at no charge.)  If you revise the topic, change the Subject: line.
If you change the topic, start a new thread.

Writing is often meant for others to read and understand (legal documents
excepted?) -- make it easier for your reader by various means, including
liberal use of whitespace (short paragraphs, separated by whitespace / blank
lines) and minimal use of (obscure?) jargon, abbreviations, acronyms, and