Re: ipv6 maybe has arrived.

On 2/10/23 00:45, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Thu, Feb 09, 2023 at 05:17:42PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
On 2/9/23 15:57, Greg Wooledge wrote:

[...]

Maybe I am the last on the planet still using hosts files [...]

Nonsense. I do use /etc/hosts profusely. If you have the right
incantation in /etc/nsswitch.conf (as Greg has said a couple
of times here) it should Just Work (TM).

Cheers

Ahh, but Tomas, the installer it appears is wrong, it doesn't Just Work. And ANAICT, no one has said what the "right" incantation is.

here is the nsswitch.conf from that machine:
gene@coyote:~$ cat /sshnet/bpi54/etc/nsswitch.conf:

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         files
group:          files
shadow:         files
gshadow:        files

hosts:          files mymachines dns myhostname
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

And unchanged since the armbian bullseye install back in October of the past year. If that is not correct, then point the finger of guilt at the installer, not me.

gene@coyote:~$ ls -l /sshnet/bpi54/etc/nsswitch.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 516 Oct 20 14:35 /sshnet/bpi54/etc/nsswitch.conf
gene@coyote:~$
and the local network did not work on that machine until I added this to resolv.conf, by making it a real file, not a link to some dynamic thing, and of coarse added a chattr -i to it so network_mangler couldn't muck it up.

resolv.conf on all my machines looks like this, and is a real file:
gene@bpi54:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 192.168.nn.1
search hosts, nameserver

and local network is not resolvable w/o that 2nd line on any machine here. nameserver is dd-wrt, which forwards dns queries to my ISP. Who has no knowledge of whats behind my fixed, registered with namecheap, ipv4 address. Pinging the link in my sig will give you that.

Now, I'm blind again, the installer did not install the tools to troubleshoot this even If I knew how to, neither info nor pinfo is installed, so I just added pinfo, but get this because the installer didn't install any docs.
gene@bpi54:~$ pinfo libc "name server switch"
Przemek's Info Viewer v0.6.13
Error: could not open info file, trying manual
Error: No manual page found

I rest my case. If something comes by to fix it. let me know. This subject/thread is done until it Just Works OOTB. 24 years now I have been making my local net work. And in that 24 years, there have been tweeks offered like networkmangler. Which early on turned into a headache they have not invented a pill for. Yet...

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis