Re: WiFi firmware issue in Bookworm

On 2023-02-09 at 21:39, Gary Dale wrote:

> I'm trying to use a Linksys AE1200 wifi usb dongle as a second network
> connection for my Bookworm workstation. The device shows up in lsusb but
> not in ip link.
>
> According to what I've found, it needs the brcmfmac driver module, which
> seems to be in the 6.1 kernel and loaded:
>
> $ lsmod | grep brcmfmac
> brcmfmac              360448  0
> brcmutil               20480  1 brcmfmac
> cfg80211             1122304  1 brcmfmac
> mmc_core              208896  1 brcmfmac
> usbcore               344064  10
> xhci_hcd,snd_usb_audio,usbhid,snd_usbmidi_lib,usblp,usb_storage,uvcvideo,brcmfmac,xhci_pci,uas
>
> I'm using KDE/Plasma as my desktop and plasma-nm is loaded. However it
> too doesn't seem to think that there is a wifi network.
>
> Interestingly the device works in Bullseye as I installed Bullseye on
> the computer that used to use it. That really only required downloading
> the correct firmware package that contained the brcmfmac module. That
> package no longer exists in Bookworm.

Would that be firmware-brcm80211?

That still exists in bookworm; it's just been moved to the new
non-free-firmware component, so it won't be showing up if your
sources.list doesn't reference that component (in addition to e.g. main,
contrib, and/or non-free).

There was another thread on this mailing list just within the past day
that asked a similar question regarding another firmware package, and
the replies to that question include links to the announcements about
the new component.

--
   The Wanderer