Re: initrd sizes mushroomed several months ago

On 2023-02-03 at 09:57, Felix Miata wrote:

> The Wanderer composed on 2023-02-03 07:16 (UTC-0500):
>
>> FTLIW, my own primary desktop has an AMD graphics card (and has since
>> before the initial Debian install), and doesn't have these large
>> initrds:
>
> Oh, but it does....
>
>> $ lh /boot/initrd.img-*
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 36M Sep  2 08:27 /boot/initrd.img-5.18.0-4-amd64
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 36M Dec  9 07:53 /boot/initrd.img-6.0.0-4-amd64

...Huh. I must have lost the context of the sizes we were looking at,
for this conversation.

> Maybe you're used to seeing super-mega-bloated 88Ms on Ubuntu or
> Mint? :p

I think it more likely that I'm used to considering the sizes of initrd
etc. for a live-environment ISO, which needs to be able to work on
almost any hardware and so has basically all potentially-driver-ish
modules and all firmware that any of those drivers might need. (It's a
workplace thing.)

Sorry for the false angle, but then at least this seems to confirm the
*opposite* of what I thought it confirmed, although again I still
haven't dug all the way in to see what the actual contents of the initrd
are.

--
   The Wanderer