Re: initrd sizes mushroomed several months ago

Hi,

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> GNU cpio(1) says that -t implies -i, so it should work on Debian.

Probably the initrd is compressed and the binary stuff was the error
messages of cpio, which are not terminal-safe.

If

  file /boot/initrd.img-6.0.0-6-amd64

says

  ... gzip compressed data ...

then the command to list the file tree would be

  gunzip </boot/initrd.img-6.0.0-6-amd64 | cpio -t

(and maybe a pipe to "less").

Have a nice day :)

Thomas